Wednesday 20 March 2013

Smart, Smart But Dumb, Dumb

My daughter T. turned 8.

Took a few of her friends bowling.

Ordered lunch.

Sang Happy Birthday.

How smart am I.  Great birthday and didn't have to lift a finger.

I am so relaxed, in fact, that I walk right out the door of the bowling alley without paying for a thing.

Driving home I am humming along to the radio thinking about all the reasons this was a great plan.

Trying to figure out how much it cost me.

Oh. Yeah. Cost me nothing.  I forgot to pay.

Screech on the brakes, U-turn.

Race back to bowling alley.

Smile at clerk.

I forgot to settle up with you.

Yeah, I know.

Were you going to call me?

No.

No?

I don't even have your number.

You don't have my number?

(Clerk looks up at me wondering whether I just came from an Active Listening workshop).

But I walked out without paying.  What were you going to do?

Nothing.

Nothing?

(She is now past Active Listening and thinking Rain Man).

It happens sometimes.  People walk out without paying and there isn't much we can do about it.

I guess I'm not as smart as I thought.




1 comment:

  1. with all this snow, i really needed a huge laugh this morning! thanks!

    ReplyDelete